Fluoride is considered Nature’s Cavity Fighter. This is because fluoride is a natural mineral that strengthens tooth enamel, thus helping prevent tooth decay. To appreciate the benefits of fluoride, it helps to understand what causes cavities.
What Causes a Cavity?
1. Mouth bacteria feed off sugary, starchy foods and drinks, then convert the carbs into acids.
2. The bacteria and saliva mix and cause a sticky substance, plaque, to coat your teeth.
3. Improper brushing, inconsistent dental care, or avoidance of regular dental checkups allows cavities to occur, destroying the tooth’s enamel.
Since most of us cannot stop to brush and floss every time we eat or drink something, it is vital that we choose those snacks and meals with care. Introducing fluoride into our routine makes a big difference! Not only does it protect against acid, but it can reverse early decay.
Benefits of Fluoride
- Rebuilds also referred to as remineralization, weakened tooth enamel.
- Slows down mineral loss in teeth.
- Reverses tooth decay if caught early on.
- Prevents the growth of damaging mouth bacteria.
- Reduces pain and discomfort caused by tooth decay.
If you are a parent, your dentist may have applied fluoride to your child’s teeth. It is a proactive measure taken by many dentists to protect your child’s teeth. But fluoride treatments are not just for kids. Anyone can have fluoride applied to their teeth. Fluoride treatments are especially recommended if you are on medication that causes dry mouth!
- Who Are Candidates for Fluoride Treatments?
- Those who take meds that cause dry mouth.
- People with gingivitis or periodontal disease.
- If you have a history of frequent cavities.
- If you have bridges, crowns, or braces.
How to Include Fluoride in Your Lifestyle
- In the water -Most U.S. municipalities now add fluoride to the water. You can check with your local water supplier to find out how much is in your drinking water. Bottled water companies also add fluoride to the water.
- In toothpaste – Not all toothpaste is the same. Check the packaging and opt for a fluoridated toothpaste. Talk to your dentist if you aren’t sure which toothpaste will be best for your situation.
- Fluoridated Mouthwash – There are many of these to choose from. One of our team members can make recommendations for products and usage.
- Ask about a fluoride treatment. It is usually covered by insurance for children but varies for adults. However, fluoride treatment costs are preferred over dealing with cavities!
Fluoride is a wonderful mineral that helps you ensure your smile is healthy. Learn more about how fluoride treatment would benefit you. Talk to one of our team members at Bridge Street Dental Center. They can answer your questions and show you how fluoride can make a difference for you.